Prop 8 Ruling Exposes Democrats’ Weak Support for the LGBT Community

via Jason Linkins of the Huffington Post

Still, it’s probably unfair of me to single out the White House and the president for this shameful display of muddle-mouthed lip service. After all, they’re just behaving like typical Democrats. Sure, there are individual exceptions, but as a general rule, Democrats treat the LGBT community as a captive constituency. They may not be able or willing to come out in favor of gay marriage, but at least they aren’t Republicans, right? Democratic party leaders may oppose gay marriage — or at least demonstrate a studied unwillingness to take a stand on the issue. But at least they aren’t Tom Emmer — openly hostile to equal rights of any kind and friendly with groups who take a Uganda-esque view of homosexuality — right? That counts for something, doesn’t it?

Well, it does, but not much. Right now, LGBT citizens are trapped in a choice between a party that opposes their very existence and a party that, you know, kind of wishes them well. And so the typical policy among Democrats is to do as little as possible for as long as they can, figuring that if the Republican party never changes its position, they can string along the LGBT community for a long while before they have to lay their marker down and risk the vote of any single voter who opposes gay rights.

Here’s the problem with that. Opponents of gay marriage face one insurmountable obstacle: at some point, they are going to die:

Time for politicians,left and right, to make decisions based on principle. On all issues, not just issues involving the LGBT community. Sooner or later the voting bloc, which matter oh so much to politicians, will become so turned off with politics–as they are now–that no one will vote for either party. They won’t see a reason to. For example, Republicans were all for the creation of a deficit commission, but when it came time to vote for that same commission they supported, all Republicans voted no–all on politics. Republicans don’t want to be seen voting with Democrats, and Democrats don’t want to be seen voting with Republicans.

Time to move past politics. Democrats if you are supportive of the LGBT community, then vote that way. If you’re not supportive, then say it. Don’t sit back. Don’t hide. Don’t take the LCBT community for granted as a Democratic constituency. Because sooner or later, the older generation who don’t support the LGBT community, will be a none factor. And the young generation, who are supportive of the LGBT community will see past your political games and no longer support your policies or your party.

I guess what I am trying to say is to win in the game of politics–to win votes and a constituency– say what you believe, and do has you say. Fight for what is right. And what is right, is equal rights under the constitution. I don’t care if you are a man who loves a man, a woman who loves a woman, a man who loves a woman, a green person who loves a red person, a black person who loves a white person–it doesn’t matter. We are all human beings and should be treated as such. There are more serious problems in our world. Whether or not 2% of the population can have the same rights as the other 98% of the population should not even be debated. 2% of the population being afforded the same rights as the other 98% will not end the world. In fact it will make the world a better place.

Stay out of the bed room and treat a marriage as the legal document it truly is–a legal binding document (remember it is not a requirement to be married religiously). The fact is, this country guarantees equal rights, and the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Remember that next time you are are debating gay rights and take a stand against equal rights for the LGBT community.

(Side note: This is about more than being able to say I do. It is about being afforded the same benefits as a straight couple–such has hospital visitation rights and being able to share Social Security benefits.)

Advertisements
Published in: on August 5, 2010 at 11:02 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://mydailytake.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/prop-8-ruling-exposes-democrats-weak-support-for-the-lgbt-community/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: